What is Drinkaware Crew?
Drinkaware Crew are trained staff working in clubs and venues to help support the welfare and wellbeing of young people on a night out.
Working in pairs, Drinkaware Crew mingle with customers to promote a positive social atmosphere and help those who may be vulnerable as a result of drinking too much alcohol. This can include reuniting lost customers with friends, helping people into taxis, or simply providing a shoulder to cry on.
Benefits of Drinkaware Crew
- Contributes to smoother, more efficient running of venues in the night time economy
- Positions venue as a responsible outlet with an active interest in customer care
- Frees up managers and security staff to keep the venue operation running effectively
- Training has been endorsed by British Institute of Inn keeping (BII) therefore providing venues with professional, industry recognised expertise
- Recommended as best practice in the Government’s 2016 Modern Crime Prevention strategy
- Positive in the eyes of licencing officers, police forces, crime prevention and community safety initiatives helping to build and strengthen local relationships.
Working with local partners
We've partnered with a range of local stakeholders including, Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner Devon and Cornwall, Tony Hogg (PPC) and Gloucestershire (PCC) Martin Surl, South Wales Police and Crime Commissioner as well as regional Police forces and Councils (Cheltenham Safe, Cheltenham Borough Council, Exeter City Council, Torbay Council and Plymouth City Council).
We’re also continuing our work with Paddy Tipping, Nottinghamshire Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and Nottingham City Council and regional Police force.
This follows an initial pilot carried out in Nottingham in 2014 as part of our Drunken Nights Out campaign, developed to reduce sexual harassment and alcohol related harm in the night time economy.
All Drinkaware Crew receive training designed and delivered by BII accredited trainer, Peter Fulton Training Associates, with input from Hollaback’s Good Night Out campaign.
Training covers how to identify vulnerability and provide support as well as promoting a positive atmosphere and personal safety.
Interested in Drinkaware Crew?
To find out more about how to implement the Drinkaware Crew scheme in your venue please contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 020 7766 9900
Find out about how to train venue staff in Alcohol Vulnerability Awareness