Drinkaware and ASDA have a long-standing partnership of working together to promote alcohol education and since 2017, delivering alcohol brief advice to customers. In 2019, we combined the activity with our flagship campaign Drink Free Days.
Over two days in January 2019 we delivered alcohol Identification and Brief Advice (IBA) using physical scratch cards with the AUDIT-C alcohol self-assessment and tips on how to cut down, and we also for the first time introduced a digital version in 50 stores.
- Alcohol brief advice was delivered across 100 ASDA stores.
- 100 Brand Ambassador (CPM) staff and 100 ASDA community champions were trained using Drinkaware at Work eLearning modules.
- Alcohol brief advice was provided to 7,061 customers (6,520 physical IBAs and 541 digital IBAs) – on average 70 customer engagements per store.
- ASDA customers who completed the digital IBA in-store were more likely than the UK population to be increasing/higher risk drinkers – with 25% of completions in the higher risk category or above (AUDIT-C, score 8+), compared to 15% among all UK adults.
- There is a place for both physical and digital IBA – and going forward they should both be offered as best practise.