YouGov interviewed a representative sample of 6,174 UK adults aged 18-75 online between 27thMarch and 18th April 2017.
Key findings include:
- Almost three in five (58%) of all people (aged 18-75) who drink alcohol are doing so at least some of the time because it helps them to cope
- 38% of men and women who said they had drunk alcohol in the last year had done so to forget their problems
- 47% said they had done so to cheer themselves up when in a bad mood
- 41% said that they had drunk alcohol because it helps when they feel depressed or nervous
- People in lower social grades are drinking to forget their problems or when they are depressed or nervous at a significantly higher rate