In last night’s episode of Hollyoaks, we saw much-loved character, Jesse Donovan, tragically collapsing from alcohol poisoning and losing his life on his wedding day.

In response to the storyline, Drinkaware CEO Elaine Hindal said: “Drinking large quantities of alcohol very quickly can have devastating consequences – and that’s exactly the situation portrayed by the Hollyoaks’ scriptwriters. Jesse’s death as a result of alcohol poisoning is overwhelmingly tragic, and what the writers have shown is that the consequences of drinking too much should never be underestimated.

“If you drink a lot in a short space of time, the concentration of alcohol in the blood can stop the body from working properly and lead to acute alcohol poisoning. It’s crucial to be aware of the signs of alcohol poisoning in order to help someone quickly, because they won’t be in a state to help themselves.

“What many people might not know is that there is no minimum to the amount of alcohol that can cause alcohol poisoning; this depends on the individual, and on other factors such as whether they’re on medication or have taken drugs.

“Signs of alcohol poisoning can include loss of coordination, vomiting, seizures, low body temperature and even unconsciousness. If you suspect alcohol poisoning, act fast – call 999 for an ambulance straightaway.”